Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Göteborg - München: Tuesday, November 13th, 2007

I'm going to go about this as I did Norway - I will be entering in daily entries because I took notes as I went through the trip so I could give you as many entertaining details as possible! Here goes....have fun reading!

Oh my goodness! After close to 24 hours on a train, I finally arrived in Munich around 4:30am on Wednesday morning. Quite a long and sad story and I can explain the general part, hopefully without too many details.

I had been speaking with Lilit via e-mail for a few weeks and I finally figured out some dates when I could visit her. (Lilit is a very good family friend that I have met a few times before - currently she is 19. Her mom is cousins with my Aunt Nonna, all from Armenia.) I went to the central station in Göteborg about a week before to get my tickets for the trains. I decided to travel train not only for the cheaper price, but because I had 2 Eurail Passes that would go towards the trip. That means that I didn't necessarily have to buy reservations unless it were necessary because the Rail Pass operates as a ticket.

I got seat reservations for all but one train from Hamburg to Munich because, according to the computers in Sweden, it was full. I didn't need a reservation for this train and it could be possible to check in Copenhagen to see if any seats opened up, otherwise I could wing it and hope there would be a seat.

After leaving at 6:25am Tuesday for Copenhagen, we arrived around 10:30am. Went straight to the ticket office and they told me I HAD to have a reservation because "it is an express train and goes fast, so I need a reservation" and it was still full. After hearing that news, I started panicking. I had a 6-hour ride ahead of me and all I could think was that I would be in Hamburg for the night. Got to Hamburg after a few catnaps here and there. I now had 30 minutes to find the ticket counter for DB and hopefully get on the right train. Hoping they still had seats available, I spoke with a lady and she said that I didn't need a reservation. Most trains in Germany don't need reservations. I was so frustrated and flustered and with less than 15 minutes to get on the train, I practically ran. Saw a train was still there, so I jumped on. Pretty lame of me at this point because it took me about 6 hours to figure out I was on the wrong train and I was still in central Germany.

After speaking with a worker on the train (and after finding out Lilit was at the train station and I quote "Laura, your train is here, where are you?") he helped me figure out another route to Munich that began at the following stop of the train I was on. I would arrive at München Ost (the eastern side of Munich) around 4:30am. Lilit sent me her address and after sleeping for a couple of hours, got a taxi and arrived at her apartment. Zara heard me after a few tries at ringing the doorbell and she was very kind, especially for me arriving so late/so early in the morning! Went to sleep around 5am to wake up at 6am to go to class with Lilit. One helluva first day I must say!

No comments: