Friday, December 14, 2007

Coming to an end...

As my title says, this experience is quickly coming to an end. I just finished my last week of classes with 2 huge presentations yesterday (Thursday) and today (Friday), but still have one exam on Monday and a paper due by next Friday. This weekend will be lots of studying and then early next week will have to work on my paper.

Christmas is coming up fast and that means everyone I have met here, also goes home. Sarah is the first to leave on Wednesday, so it's going to be really weird. All of my roommates leave on Saturday the 22nd, so then everything will really sink in. However, Lilit may come around the 21st and then stay with me over Christmas, so I won't be totally alone! And then my parents and my brother will come on the 26th and then we're off on our own little trip around Scandinavia.

Christmas in Gothenburg is a huge celebration. It's so beautiful with all of the lights around the city and just this last Thursday, December 13th, there was the celebration of Santa Lucia (a saint known for her kindness and love). It is a pretty big deal in Sweden and as this site says: After lunch most schools close on Santa Lucia day around noon. It is a national holiday which comes on the 13th of December. There are also special foods for Lucia's Day like Lussekatter and spicy gingerbread biscuits. In big cities in Sweden there are beauty contests where some women dress up as Santa Lucia and the judges and the people vote for the Santa Lucia of the year. In schools people sing Santa Lucia's song. The words in Swedish and English are in the right-hand column.

Apparently there was some celebration in the Chalmers student union until 10am, but I was in class, so I didn't get to see it. There was a group of people walking through the halls of the building I was in with candles and white gowns and singing, which was neat to see. I also saw in Nordstan (the big shopping mall) posters up of girls competing for the most beautiful Santa Lucia. Don't know who won, but seems like it might be every little girls dream to become Santa Lucia (here in Sweden at least)!

Other than a lot of work these past couple weeks for all my projects, I haven't really done too much. Last weekend was a hard weekend of partying, but I had lots of fun. Won't get to see these people in a while, if ever again, so I've been trying to get out as much as possible.

This weekend I won't be going out, which I'm not happy about, but I really have to study for this exam. But after the exam I'm ready to hang out as much as possible with the people still here.

On Thursday's, a club called Valand has a student night and next Thursday (20th) there will be many people going. Myself and my roommates included. It will sort of be a good-bye party to everyone and it's easier than having someone throw a party.

Sorry if these seems so gloomy, but I have had such an amazing time here, and to know it's almost over is really depressing. It ended up going so fast and I am excited to be going home, but only really to see people, not to get on with school or that part of my life.

On a positive note, Joe Klockmann from Hamburg, Germany came to visit me! Even though I was really busy, I hope he enjoyed himself. Was hard to entertain when I was constantly working on projects, but we did get to do some stuff and he was able to go out exploring on his own. On Monday we went bowling at Frölunda SuperBowl, which was really fun.

Anywho....about time for me to start studying or go to bed to get up to study tomorrow morning. I hope everyone is doing well and I will be seeing you soon! Less than one month! (And for the family....I will be calling on Christmas, so most likely will talk to all of you within 2 weeks!)


I've updated my pics as well...added some to "more fun", "Göteborg" and some more to "Finland". (Hopefully you can find them if you really want to look...)

No comments: