Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Realizations

Even though I posted recently, I have some new perspectives on certain ideas I had previously. I don't want to make it all deep, but I truly have found new perceptions. First, I will start a little lighter....

The girl I was speaking of earlier, Janne, took me out on Tuesday for some sight-seeing and some coffee. For coffee, we went a little off the southern part of Chalmers to this water tower that has a little café on top of the actual water tower. It was absolutely stunning! No one, even the locals, seems to know about this place, so it was great to be by ourselves in the peace and quiet with the sounds of traffic way down below us. We could sit outside and chairs and tables went around the whole café, so you really get an aerial view! I've never seen the city from so high up and it was gorgeous!

Janne and I each got a cappuccino and a piece of this raspberry "pie" with vanilla syrup and vanilla ice cream on the side. The pie here is more like a strudel type dessert. Very delicious! We talked about girl stuff and other random stuff for probably an hour and then Janne took me over to the other side of the river, on the Lindholmen campus of Chalmers.

We first went to her apartment, which was adorable! All to herself, has a little kitchen, a bedroom, a little living room with a TV, and a bathroom! Right next to campus, so not too far away and what was even funnier is that on my first day of wandering around in Gothenburg, I actually walked by her whole apartment complex! Would have been funny if we actually walked by each other and never knew it!

Went by bus to the island to look back at the city from over there, too. Also breathtaking! It's so fun to say that I've lived in a city with actual history and actual proof of that history as far as buildings and statues and castles go. Janne & I talked about many things throughout the few hours we were together. She says she absolutely loves the English language; not the British English or Aussie English, but straight up American English. I thought that was neat, I've never heard anyone say that about English.

I'm fascinated with Janne as well. She studied in Seattle at 19; just graduated from high school and now moved to another country for a year. I couldn't imagine doing that right from high school. Yeah, I am 20 now, but I've been away from home for 3 years and I've been more than on my own for 3 years. That's also brought up another thought. I know I have been very fortunate to have travelled so much in my 20 years (thanks to my parents). Maybe that has what has made my decision to study abroad easier. However, I do not understand why so many friends back home in the US aren't even considering studying abroad. I don't know if it's just because they don't want to leave their "comfort zones" or if they want to graduate "on time", but it still frustrates me as to why they aren't taking this once in a lifetime opportunity. I just know I will never forget this time I've had here meeting new people and enjoying first time experiences on my own.

More deepness coming...

Today in my Economics of Innovations class, we had to present our research into whatever country we chose to discuss the science & technology and innovations. We didn't have to present, but Colombia, Finland, Sweden, the Netherlands, and India all presented. At the end of the presentations, our professor (the one from Texas) had some very interesting observations. There is a huge appreciation for all of the countries involved in just that class. With the new master's programme where international students can attend Chalmers for 2 years and receive their master's for free, opens up a gigantic opportunity to meet people from several countries. That is one thing the professor pointed out. As far as English speaking goes, she said with there being only 2 native English speakers in the class (one being me, the other her), all of the presentations were excellent. It can be frustrating for foreign students to have to get in front of a class and speak in a language they aren't fluent in, yet everyone did an amazing job!

I also learned a lot from these presentations. Yeah, I know a little bit about some of these countries, but if I was never in this class, put in this situation with all of these international students and "forced" to study or listen to these people speak about their countries, I would never have learned about this in the US or even on my own. It makes such a difference when you are actually in an environment where the majority of the students are international and are there to learn about their country. For this professor to give us this opportunity, as annoying as this sort of project can be, is still pretty amazing.

Off to bed to ponder some more...maybe. Til next time

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey girl! I'm really enjoying your vivid descriptions of life in Sweden. I'm glad you're getting so much out of this amazing opportunity. And keep those posts coming...I almost feel like I'm there with you! And thanks for the postcard! Love ya! ~Margaret