Friday, August 24, 2007

The findings thus far!

Well...here we go again! Many, many things have happened since I last posted. I even made a list while riding the buss, yes, I did attempt public transportation! Had to at some point, right?

The last 2 days are sort of a blur, but I did venture out and I did figure out a few things! Yesterday (23rd) I pretty much just stayed in the area and did a little more shopping for necessities. Today, however, I was rarin' to go and headed out with an agenda: cell phone, bus pass, IKEA.

Bought a cell phone - - currently it's charging, so I'll find out later if it even works! Got a buss pass for 100kr and for each ride it's about 15kr, but it lasts for 90 minutes. So you can switch buses as much as you want within those 90 minutes. I think it also works for trams, but haven't tried that out yet.

After asking many people, I finally figured out how to get to IKEA. That's where the adventure begins. So....I asked this online tourist chat site the best routes to take to IKEA by buss. The lady gave me a couple options, and the one that was the fastest, also ended at 6:30pm. By that time it was already 4pm and I had yet to get on the buss and then do all my shopping. Decided to take that route without knowing what I'd do coming back to Frölunda.

Got on the "Orange Express" and headed to the stop I had to get off to switch buses. Got on the next buss, route 360 and continued to enjoy the ride and the scenery. All of a sudden I noticed we were going back into the main part of the city of Gothenburg and I kind of thought it was strange. Then we came to the end of the route! I had no idea what happened! I followed the directions from the tourist office, so we should've passed and IKEA somewhere, but I never saw it go by!

I asked the bus driver, who spoke little English, and he tried to explain what happened. Found a younger girl who spoke really good English and she told me I had gotten on the right bus, but was headed in the wrong direction; 45 minutes in the wrong direction! They pointed me to the correct buss and I was headed off in the RIGHT direction to IKEA. 50 minutes later, pulled up at the familiar gold and blue building and was ready to start shopping!

Bought a set for six of everything: plates (big and small), bowls, glasses, and silverware. Got a few pans so we can actually cook and bought some slippers for myself! The IKEA is very similar to those in the US aside for the fact that I could read only half of the stuff, so I really had no idea where anything was at, but of course, all of the same items! Even the Billy shelf for my bro!

Got out of the store and figured I'd just go with it and figure out the bus system on my own. I knew I had to be going in the opposite direction that I came, so that was a start. Well....to make this long story short, I did get the 2 routes I was on figured out, so next time I need to make a trip to IKEA, it won't be a 3 hour buss ride!

I did really enjoy the views as I was riding. Definitely very tiny roads for all of the buses, lots of hills and round-a-bouts! Totally was not expecting hills! Don't know why I thought that, but I thought because of all the bikers, there wouldn't be any hills! Dream world I guess! Speaking of bikes, the bike paths here are amazing! They are EVERYWHERE and so convenient! Might just have to get a bike myself!

Couple more things and then I'm done for today! I do notice a difference between the older and younger generations, as with most countries I suppose. A lot of times when I try to ask someone for help, it mostly winds up that I am talking to someone my own age. Sitting at the bus stop at IKEA, an old woman came up to me speaking in Swedish and I flat out said, I'm sorry, I only speak English. I said hej, and then she kept talking. Smile and nod I guess, but I did really want to understand what she was saying, so maybe in 5 months, I will! The kids my age are all very friendly and all speak English very well! Even those that reply "a little" when I ask if they speak English.

I also thought that most signs and directions would be in English. Not at all actually! It's very hard at times to figure out some stuff, but other words are similar to English or I can figure out what it is. For example: mineralvatten, restaurang, telefonnummer, etc. (Let me know if you need help figuring those out!)

Anywho....guess that's it for today! Feels like it's been a long week, but then again, I haven't even been here for a week! Might be off to explore the campus tomorrow! Added a few pics, so check those out too! Same link as before.

Oh! I also tried out the McDonald's. Had to at some point, right? Not too bad, quite the same as everywhere else, so nothing too special. Still have yet to try the delicacies of Sweden!

1 comment:

Sue said...

Looks like you're helping the economy of Sweden out very well! Thanks to AET, your bank account lets you do that! Chip off the old block -- keep it up! :-)